Innovative Skylight Designs for Modern Homes
With high-quality skylights available in such a huge range of styles and sizes, it is possible to create a myriad of innovative skylight designs with ease today. Whether you are interested in exciting skylight designs for modern, period-style homes or for properties that are designed along very contemporary lines, we invite you to join us as we discuss some of the more ingenious skylight design ideas that we have come across recently. With luck, one of these ideas will be just perfect for your own property.
Interesting Skylight Design Ideas to Consider
As we mentioned above, there are so many possibilities today when it comes to new skylight design ideas, it would take us a month to compile a comprehensive list. As we don’t have a month to spare, we are going to focus on 5 stylish and practical ideas that we feel are most likely to be of interest to homeowners across the United Kingdom:
- Illuminating Single-Storey Hallways – Single-storey hallways that lead to 2-storey buildings are often rather dark and gloomy, owing to the fact they are overlooked by most of the rest of the property. To remedy this, multiple skylights can be installed in the hallway ceiling, either in individual units or those that form part of a modular system. This will result in a large increase in the amount of natural daylight that reaches the interior, helping to create a lighter, brighter and infinitely more pleasant space. Hallways that are transformed in this way can even serve a dual purpose: firstly as a conventional entrance and, secondly, as an intimate meeting space in which you can enjoy coffee and a chat with passing friends.
- Creating a Loft Studio – Many UK homeowners have converted their lofts into additional living space in recent decades, with varying degrees of success. One of the biggest problems with many such conversions is the lack of natural daylight in the finished rooms. While they may serve a useful purpose as an occasional guest room, they are not often suitable for very much else. However, having seen some very successful conversions recently, conversions that utilised multiple skylights in several innovative configurations, we now know that it is genuinely possible to create a beautiful living space in your loft. The amount of natural light that can be introduced into a loft conversion with well-positioned skylights is enough for a home art studio or perhaps a workspace for a fashion designer: the possibilities are almost endless.
- Building a Pitched Skylight Architectural Feature – For smaller properties, it may be possible to create a pitched skylight feature using just a single, large roof lantern. However, if you would like to create a stunning pyramid-shaped architectural glass feature in a more spacious home, you will need to use multiple skylights to achieve your aim. Many people employ a local designer to help with such projects but you may need to look further afield if you are in a remote part of the country. Owing to the structural considerations, we would definitely not recommend attempting to create a pitched skylight architectural feature without the help of a suitably qualified architect or building engineer.
- Improving the Ventilation and Illumination in Your Bathroom – The problem with the bathrooms that are to be found in many residential properties across the UK today is a lack of proper ventilation. Poor illumination is another common issue that can spoil what would otherwise be quite beautiful bathrooms in this part of the world. Fortunately, there is a very simple solution to both of these problems: operable skylights. Skylights that are designed to be opened and closed can transform dark, steamy bathrooms into beautiful airy spaces where every shower is a sensual treat for all of the senses.
- Turning Your Bedroom into a Stargazing Paradise – This is a great idea for people with homes that are not overlooked by nearby properties, whether they are in remote areas of the country or more urban settings. By installing oversized skylights in your bedroom, you can turn what might otherwise be a fairly uninspiring space into a paradise for stargazing at night. In addition to being able to enjoy nature’s stunning after-dark displays, you may benefit in terms of improved sleep quality as the natural light helps you to establish healthier nocturnal habits.
If you are interested in implementing one of these ideas in your own property, you are more than welcome to order all of the skylights you will need from our extensive range. We stock a wide selection of beautiful skylights and roof lanterns, every one of which is manufactured in the UK. You are also welcome to contact us if you need any help. We have a team of friendly experts, ready and willing to provide you with any assistance you may require.
- Josh Hartim